[wp-hackers] 2.4 Feature Proposal: New general meta-data table

Mike Purvis mike at uwmike.com
Fri Oct 12 02:14:13 GMT 2007

On 10/5/07, Austin Matzko <if.website at gmail.com> wrote:
> For WordPress 2.4, I propose that we add a general meta-data table.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds like a crufty mess waiting to happen. If a plugin has data
beyond configuration options, it should be creating a new table for
it, no matter how small the amount of data is. I'd rather clean up my
DB by pruning tables than by sorting through a gross metatable full of
random snippets of junk.

The problem here is a matter of educating plugin authors about best
practices, and adding a generic "dump stuff here" table is not the
answer.

But that's just my opinion.

Mike

--