[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin update bugs

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Tue Oct 2 10:18:16 GMT 2007

>> So you think it's okay to discriminate plugins that are not hosted in
>> wp.org to "motivate authors".
>>

> Oô ...
> If you think motivating people equals discriminating others, well, sure.
> Like, motivate 100, it discriminates 1000 ? How... interesting :)

Here is a similar example:
White people get free bus tickets.
What, you think motivating white people to use public transportation
means discriminating black people?

>> I think it's appropriate to allow creating Plugin pages without hosting
>> the plugins.
>> Ideally it will also be possibly to update the information via some
>> protocol (XMLRPC?), to allow easy integration with other repositories.
>>

> I think it's appropriate, too : my 10+ plugins are hosted on my own site.
> I just don't see why hosting one's plugin should be mutually exclusive
> with putting them on wp.org to use the update system. I do both.

It's just more work and administrative overhead.
think how example, how you will know how many downloads you have if you
plugin is hosted in many repositories.
it also makes the release process painful.

    Omry.