[wp-hackers] Per-page Widget Settings

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu May 31 18:32:33 GMT 2007

You won't be able to accurately do separate widget options anyway,
since each widget can store their own options anyway they like (in the
options table seems to be the best bet). So I'd give that a miss for
now and stick with widget arrangement, since that's the most requested
functionality (the ability to hide certain widgets on certain kinds of
pages).

And ugly custom fields are already used internally elsewhere for lots
of things. Look at _enclosure, for example. Use a key starting with an
underscore ("_sidebars_widgets_post" for preference), because the
underscore seems to be the standard for internal/automatic custom
field usage. A patch can be made to hide these underscore fields from
the interface if it's determined that that is a good idea.

So, yes, stick to a custom field in postmeta, for per post/page settings.

Also, use a fallback mechanism similar to the template hierarchy. If a
single post/page has no custom field for the widgets, fallback to the
one for all single pages (perhaps stored in the options table).
Failing that, fallback to the default widgets layout. Same for
archives and anything else. Store the "generic" layouts in the options
table, with names of "sidebars_widgets_archives" and
"sidebar_widgets_search" and such. The default is already there as
"sidebar_widgets".