[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Mon May 21 21:01:48 GMT 2007

> Might I suggest that the PHP5 conversation does not have any
> traction right now.

It's pretty safe to say that this conversation contradicts that.

> Right now, I would be shocked if this part of the thread
> ended in a definate:  PHP 5 WILL or WILL NOT be in WordPress 3

There's no question that PHP5 will "be in" WordPress 3.  The only question
is whether it's a requirement, which is not that difficult a question.

We can punt on the issue, of course.  That's the open source stereotype that
proprietary software vendors /love/, after all -- that open source projects
meander on, with no concrete plans and nobody to make the most important
decisions, making them difficult or impossible to plan around, blah blah
blah.

Lots of people depend on WP.  If WP doesn't require PHP5 -- a 4-year-old
release by the time WP3 will be introduced, for goodness' sake -- it makes a
strong point that PHP is a dying language.  I think the "fear of five" has
to end.

-- Charles

P.S.  PHP6 is coming in 2008, right?