[wp-hackers] WP-Manage: Automatic WP backups and upgrades with PHP

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Fri Jan 19 16:07:23 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 07:51 -0800, Aaron Brazell wrote:
> Fair point but the amount of manual labor required just to be able to
> use the tool each time sort of defeats the purpose. Once someone
> manages 10 blogs or more, having to change perms on these folders
> each time is counter-productive.

Well, I don't share this opinion. All in all it's just some clicks in
your FTP client, which should be able to change directories' permissions
recursively. That really shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. If you e.g.
install WordPress for a customer, you make this once and can have him
handle updates and backups all by himself.

> Just playing devil's advocate as one of the guys who produced one of
> those shell scripts that take care of all the upgrading.

Sure, why not. :-) I myself have proposed such a solution recently
(http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2007-January/010267.html), and I'm happily using it on my server. But I also have customers on other servers, and I wanted to find a solution for people who don't have shell access. Of course, the upgrade feature has its downsides, but it proves extremely useful when it comes to preparing WordPress to be handled by novice users.

Best regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
work: http://www.zirona.com/ | leisure: http://www.roggenrohl.net