[wp-hackers] WP-Manage: Automatic WP backups and upgrades with PHP

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Fri Jan 19 15:46:34 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 07:31 -0800, Aaron Brazell wrote:
> Ok - you asked. :-)

Sure, let me have it. ;-)

> Do you know how insecure it is to ask for wp-admin and wp-includes to
> both be made (and more importangtly left) writable? :)

Yes, I'm aware of this. But as soon you run the upgrade, the files in
wp-admin/ and wp-includes/ (and the WP files in the base directory) are
taken over by the webserver and will be protected again. This is why I
recommend to only make them writable directly before running the upgrade
routine for the first time (see under "Security" on the homepage).

Best regards
Alex

(Btw, please exuse my initial double post, everybody. I have faced
issues writing to this list several times, and when my message didn't
appear after 10 minutes, I decided to post it again.)

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
work: http://www.zirona.com/ | leisure: http://www.roggenrohl.net