[wp-hackers] User folders for themes, plug-ins

Steve Lewis stevelle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 05:00:59 GMT 2007

On 1/17/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> > That'd introduce a lot of complexity and break backwards
> > compatibility in a lot of things.
>
> I know I'm oversimplifying, but isn't the gist of it checking for two
> folders instead of one, and then deciding which has priority (probably
> user
> themes but system plug-ins) in case of conflicts?

I think that 2.1 is past feature freeze (a release date less than two weeks
out has been considered here), but this seems like both a very solid
solution to the more general issue and a worthy feature.  We should be
seeking to make Wordpress upgrades as easy as possible, especially in light
of the history of subtle security issues.  It gets us closer to that goal to
genuinely separate user scripts from system scripts.

It *can* be written.  It can work cleanly.  It can improve the application.
Charles, I guess I'm signing on to help.

--
SteveL