[wp-hackers] Getting up to speed with WP-hacking.

Alex Polite mylists at polite.se
Tue Aug 28 13:30:56 GMT 2007

Hi.

I'm not sure that this is this right mailing list for this question,
but here goes any way. I've been running Wordpress for personal
purposes for three years or so. At one point I jumped in and hacked
the hell out of my installation, but then all of those hacks broke
when I upgraded from 1.x to 2.x

Now I'm maintaining a growing list of Wordpress-installations and I'm
putting a bit of an effort into making sure that they all stay
updated, backed up etc, and that any customizations I do to them don't
break on the next Worpress upgrade.

For starters I've written a rake[1] script that will do all the
installing, upgrading etc of a wp-installation.

Now I've come to the point where I need to understand more about the
inner workings of Wordpress. I find the documentation[2] patchy and
inconsistent. Some of it obviously deals with older versions and with
some pages it's hard to tell whether they are current or not.

So what's my best strategy for getting up to speed with Wordpress-hacking?

[1] http://rake.rubyforge.org/
[2] http://codex.wordpress.org
--
http://polite.se