[wp-hackers] Grab a seat. On Delaying 2.2, separating tables

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 08:59:23 GMT 2007

On Mon, April 16, 2007 9:39 am, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Peter Westwood wrote:
>> There are a lot of non tag releated changes that have gone in to 2.2
>> already.  There must be other things that we can pull out for the
>> release
>> announcement that make it worth people upgrading:
>
> I agree there's lots of good stuff under the hood in 2.2, but nothing
> that would really compel someone to upgrade, unless perhaps they were
> using a desktop client that uses the new APIs.

We shouldn't need lots of snazy features to compel people to upgrade.

WordPress has a bit of a reputation for new releases being centred around
adding features ( and be way of a side effect new bugs) with a little bit
of bug fixing on the side.

We have too many bugs that languish around and don't get fixed while we
concentrate on adding new features.

We need to understand that reliability is a selling point and that just
fixing a large number of those long standing bugs is good enough for a non
major version release.

Yes a release needs some new features.  But it doesn't need to be
overflowing with new features - the fact that a lot of long-standing bugs
have been fixed does give people a reason to upgrade.

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk