[wp-hackers] Grab a seat. On Delaying 2.2, separating tables

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 10:29:09 GMT 2007

Robert Deaton wrote:
> Okay, I'll try to cut right to the point here, cause its getting late
> and my brain functionality is quickly slipping away. WordPress 2.2 is
> shipped for release very shortly. Unfortunately, we're cutting it
> pretty close again, with big changes going in only a week before its
> scheduled for final release. Not only does this mean we're once again
> not leaving time for the testing that is likely needed (think WP 2.0),
> it means we are only a week away from releasing into the wild what I
> see to be a mistake.
>
> WordPress 2.2 features the new WP core tagging system. That's an
> inevitability, its not going anywhere, and that's not what I'm
> suggesting. The problem is, like linkcategories, its been thrown into
> the categories table as well. Now, without getting into specifics, it
> is a given that tags and categories are not the same. So why are we
> storing them in the same table? Post categories and link categories
> are also not the same, so again, why?

+1

I really can't see anyone justifying releasing 2.2 any time soon anyway.

The original idea behind the 120day release cycle was for a decent
beta/stability period before release [1]:

"
2 months of crazy fun wild development where anything goes
1 month of polishing things a little bit, and performance
Feature freeze.
1 month of testing, with a public beta release at the beginning
"

For me with regard to the current tagging changes it feels like 2.2 is
still in the first phase.

If we wanted to keep to the schedule for 2.2 then the tagging changes
should have waiting till 2.3!

[1] http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2006-October/008907.html

westi
--