[wp-hackers] Grab a seat. On Delaying 2.2, separating tables

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sun Apr 15 07:18:56 GMT 2007

On Apr 15, 2007, at 2:05 AM, Robert Deaton wrote:

> The categories schema changes can probably wait for the next version,
> as its a large undertaking and a lot to test, however I think that it
> definitely wouldn't hurt to push back 2.2 and get these tables
> separated and sorted out before they ship in a release and then we
> have to worry about serious backwards compatibility issues when trying
> to make these changes in the next version.

It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings.  It was supposed to be a 4
month development cycle anyway, and it was a mistake that it was
scheduled for April.

And I'm definitely off the fence with regards to our taxonomy
implementation.  This is madness.  Number of tables is a meaningless
metric.  Community consensus, reduction of coding headaches, and KISS
design are important metrics.  Split 'em, and do it properly.  If not
now, immediately after 2.2

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/