[wp-hackers] Lack of code savvy volunteers vs wp-hackers

Karen J. Gould banshee at webfaerie.com
Sat Nov 25 18:55:42 GMT 2006

(I've read the whole discussion, but am replying to the first to avoid
attaching this post to any particular reply, since there are several
germane ones.) I asked a question in the "hacks" forum that (in my *ever*
so humble opinion) was above the level of "how do I change the color of
the type" but not really in "hacker" territory. I was told to come to this
list. So I did. After lurking for a couple of weeks, I'm not sure the
question belongs here - most of the questions and answers are far above my
coding skills. I can pick my way through most of the code, but I'm not
fluent in it. Think of me as a tourist who only knows a few words in a
foreign language, and mostly relies on a phrase book to get by.

But what's a gal to do? No one *there* could/would answer my question. I'm
hesitant to inflict my barely-past newbie self on the far more savvy
members of this list - and I wouldn't, if I could get the answer in the
forum. So count me as a vote for perhaps a *little* more attention to the
forums by savvy coders.

That said, as some one in this thread pointed out, nobody's being paid to
help, and I can understand the frustration of seeing yet another OMG! MY
MENU DISAPPEARED! post.

So, I'll probably ask my question here anyway. Maybe even today.

Karen

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:13:07 -0500, Michael B <miklb.online at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm cross posting this to both the forums and the hackers list, and
> perhaps
> the copious amounts of sun from fishing all day, or perhaps it's the many
> blog posts I've read lately about the lack of focused participation in
> the
> forums/codex, but it seems after my most recent reply in the hackers
> list,
> that if less time was spent by the more talented coders who know the
> code on
> the hackers list, and more in the forums, either via an "advanced"
> forum, or
> something of the sort, many birds would be killed with fewer stones...
>
> I see more and more discussions and questions posed on the hackers list
> that
> really could be relevant to the forums, and would be more widely read
> there.  Likewise, if those that frequent the hackers list spent just a
> *few
> more minutes* there, some of the more technical questions that go
> unanswered
> would get some love.  I wholly understand the desire for less "noise",
> and
> the like minded camaraderie that is shared on the hackers list, but in
> the
> spirit of growing the community, as well as embracing new users, be it
> some
> times skilled coders unfamiliar with the nuances of WP, it could benefit
> the
> greater discussion.
>
> I'm not suggesting the wp-hackers list doesn't have it's place, but am
> suggesting that perhaps some of the discussion isn't that far above the
> general audience that it can't be shared with the masses.
>
> I'd hate for wp-hackers to some day evolve into into something like
> css-discuss, and the only real source for meaty WP support, with the
> forums
> relegated to the complete newbie and sploggers.
>

> Please don't flame me too hard, as I do have a bit of a sunburn, as well
> as
> am still stinging from being called a "maladjusted geek"...
>
> Michael
>
> (miklb)

The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born
in moments of revelation.
--G'Kar, "Z'ha'dum" Babylon 5