[wp-hackers] Re: Lack of code savvy volunteers vs wp-hackers

Owen V. Gray ovgray at rogers.com
Sat Nov 25 05:27:10 GMT 2006

> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/94706?replies=3

> (I have NO CLUE on what is wrong with it, but.. would LOVE to know
> myself.. lol)

As the lurker with the now "too old" version of Mysql, I can't resist
observing that it seems the example forum post was by a user with a "too
new for Wordpress" version of Mysql.

>From the MySQL 5 manual:

"If you run applications that rely on MySQL's old "forgiving" behavior,
make sure to either adapt those applications or to disable strict mode."

(Forgive manual extract's ironically not-strictly-correct English
syntax.)

The forum poster found one of perhaps many instances where Wordpress 2+
relies on Mysql's "old forgiving behavior," in this case an insert that
does not expressly assign a value to a field that does not have a
default value (and text fields cannot have default values).

Will devs

a) specify a maximum version (4.1-) of Mysql?
b) tell Mysql 5 users to turn off strict mode?
c) add code to detect whether Mysql is in strict mode and turn strict
mode off on per session basis?
d) rewrite queries in WP2.0 and 2.1 to eliminate reliance on "features"
of older versions of Mysql?

Too new -- who knew? Seems bugs can be found by reading posts in the
forums, which reinforces the point of the first post in this thread.

Owen V. Gray