[wp-hackers] Re: Lack of code savvy volunteers vs wp-hackers

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 06:53:04 GMT 2006

On 11/25/06, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:

> > The forum poster found one of perhaps many instances where Wordpress 2+
> > relies on Mysql's "old forgiving behavior," in this case an insert that
> > does not expressly assign a value to a field that does not have a
> > default value (and text fields cannot have default values).
> >
> > Will devs
> >
> > a) specify a maximum version (4.1-) of Mysql?
> > b) tell Mysql 5 users to turn off strict mode?
> > c) add code to detect whether Mysql is in strict mode and turn strict
> > mode off on per session basis?
> > d) rewrite queries in WP2.0 and 2.1 to eliminate reliance on "features"
> > of older versions of Mysql?
>
> Well Owen, the way I see it, this is traditionally a job that's given to
> the
> experts that *do* reside on the forums. Granted, they're better than us
> all
> for tolerating all that noise, but it's traditionally them that either
> a) File a trac ticket
> b) Put a heads-up here
>
> And things get done. To date no one has really complained that WP bugs are
> going unfixed for a long time (only case I can call to mind is the stupid
> cron bug - but certainly not for lack of attention), and if the system
> works
> (more or less), and more importantly, we're comfortable with it, I
> personally don't see the need for change.
>
> Computer Guru
> NeoSmart Technologies
> http://neosmart.net/blog/

There in lies the bloody issue.  I've yet to see anyone who volunteers in
the forums consider themselves an expert... and I've never expected a
check.

Moose, you were right, without saying it, this was a classic bang head
against wall exercise, and if "computer guru"'s  response is of at all the
general consensus of those that participate/haunt the wp-hackers list, well,
my belief in a WP community has been shaken.

I do find solace that the mysql issue that went unresolved in the forums was
addressed and will fixed.

Lesson learned, albeit a painful one.