[wp-hackers] Re: Lack of code savvy volunteers vs wp-hackers

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sat Nov 25 06:13:49 GMT 2006

> The forum poster found one of perhaps many instances where Wordpress 2+
> relies on Mysql's "old forgiving behavior," in this case an insert that
> does not expressly assign a value to a field that does not have a
> default value (and text fields cannot have default values).
>
> Will devs
>
> a) specify a maximum version (4.1-) of Mysql?
> b) tell Mysql 5 users to turn off strict mode?
> c) add code to detect whether Mysql is in strict mode and turn strict
> mode off on per session basis?
> d) rewrite queries in WP2.0 and 2.1 to eliminate reliance on "features"
> of older versions of Mysql?

Well Owen, the way I see it, this is traditionally a job that's given to the
experts that *do* reside on the forums. Granted, they're better than us all
for tolerating all that noise, but it's traditionally them that either
a) File a trac ticket
b) Put a heads-up here

And things get done. To date no one has really complained that WP bugs are
going unfixed for a long time (only case I can call to mind is the stupid
cron bug - but certainly not for lack of attention), and if the system works
(more or less), and more importantly, we're comfortable with it, I
personally don't see the need for change.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/