[wp-hackers] Re: RSS Decisions

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 20:07:34 GMT 2006

On 17/01/06, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't really know why the WP folks are even considering removing RSS
> 1.0, their current source is reasonably well structured, and the
> inclusion of the corresponding template for RSS 1.0 is hardly
> significant bloat. All they'll really achieve is irritating a segment
> of the community.

Please read the entire thread containing everyone else's opinions
before you post your own. Allow me to quote myself:

> * RDF and RSS 0.92 are obsolete technologies
> * The files only clog up the WordPress download and root folder with
> extra, pointless files.
> * They have to be maintained when we change the API
> * If they're not, they break, and this is bad, because things in the
> core should work.

Ignore the first point if you use it. The rest still stand. Our main
problem with RDF and RSS 0.92 isn't that they're bloat, or that
they're 'way too old' (as you pointed out, RDF has an active working
group, although perhaps not in feeds).

> Speaking personally, I'll echo one of Harry's points:
>
>     As a WordPress user, I like to have options. I want to be able to
> choose the format of RSS feeds that I publish. I don't want to be told
> what format is the "standard" format and what format is the "right"
> format.

This is not what we're saying. We're considering ditching RSS 0.92 and
RDF because not enough people use them. They'd still be around if you
wanted them.

Basically, it boils down to this:

RDF and RSS 0.92 simply aren't what Most People need. If you need
feeds, then Atom or RSS2 provide everything Most People need. Hell,
even the argument about 'a lot of WP users are power users' doesn't
even apply here, the proportion of WP users who give a damn about the
medium between them and their readers is miniscule (if we limit it to
feeds). Most People only care about readers eyeballs on their words.

RDF and RSS 0.92 cause us grief. By keeping them in the core, we're
burdening ourselves with keeping them up to date. Why not give that
job to someone who uses, cares about and understands these
technologies?

Oh and we're not totally ditching the technologies. Of course, a
plugin will be available for those who still want RDF/RSS 0.92.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net