[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Feb 8 07:38:43 GMT 2006

Owen Winkler wrote:
> It's not an invalid advantage by any stretch.  And yet, in an
> environment with two primary committers with deific control over the
> core repo, you can see how I would feel oddly about this.

Damn, you're right! Go use Drupal. Oh wait, they have a central modules
repository:

http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/

And two "deific" developers who do all the committing to core.

Go use Mambo! Oh wait...

Almost every open source project I can think of has implemented
something similar to this, and each has benefited from it. Linux distros
do it too.

We're not promoting plugins from the main site now, obviously this is a
goal. You seem to be concerned about losing traffic to your site/ads if
people can download plugins from one place (like they want) rather than
going to 30 different sites each with their own UI. (Apologies if I'm
misunderstanding some of your concerns.)

WordPress.org has done 1.2 *million* pageviews this week. If just 1% of
that traffic trickled your way, would that help your stats? I'm all for
promoting plugin and theme authors, and have been from the beginning.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com