[wp-hackers] feed:http://address problem

Denis de Bernardy denis at semiologic.com
Wed May 18 21:09:01 GMT 2005

> I think you are mistaking...
>
> Feed: is just like Mailto:

Ya, I'm quite aware, but I've yet to try a program that supports it. I'm
aware some exist, but I do not use them. And as far as I'm concerned, as
long as IE and FF (= 99% of users?) do not support it, IE being the more
important of the two, I'll consider feed: is a user misleading non-issue. :)

> Would you expect to paste a mailto:myemail at something.com into
> the To: field of a mail program and have it work?

I would select and copy the email in the text, i.e. without the mailto:, or
right click and 'copy email address' in FF. Whereas if you click a feed:
link in FF, I get an error, and if you right click and copy it, you'll need
to edit the result before you can use it.

I assume by your remarks that you are not into HCI. You'd be surprised by
the number of 2-button mouse users who are not aware you can right click
things. Don't laugh, right clicking is a very complex thing to do. :D

In any event, this leads me to suggest that many users click on the link and
copy the resulting url in their address bar, and that standard or not, feed:
should not be implemented in WordPress until IE handles it properly.

My $.02

--
Denis de Bernardy
http://www.semiologic.com