[wp-hackers] MU Progress

Donncha O Caoimh donncha at linux.ie
Thu Jun 23 22:33:13 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I thought I should bring you up to speed on what's been happening in the
MU world of late. (If you don't know what WPMU is, take a look at
http://mu.wordpress.org .. go on, I'll wait while you read! Back? Oh good!)
The ongoing discussion on openness reminded me that I need to volunteer
some information now and again so as I can keep people up to date and
hopefully pick your brains on difficult matters.

The last week has seen several huge changes in WordPressMU. What I'm
discussing below is very seperate from WordPress. The two projects share
a lot of code, but they're very different beasts.

1. I created a global "blogs" table. This table stores details about all
the blogs on a system. It even handle multiple installations on one
domain or across domains hosted on the one machine! It should be
possible to install WPMU once, and then access it by different domains!
2. There's a global users table. Once you register on the system, you
*could* get access to any of the blogs on that machine if the blog owner
allowed it! You could even have different permissions in each blog!
3. The usermeta table is rather handy - it's a global table describing
users. Matt put the user_level in there, prepended by the table prefix
which facilitates having different permissions on different blogs on
different domains! You could be a level 10 user on
http://www.example.com/joesblog/ but only a level 0 visitor on
http://www.anotherexample.com/marysblog/ and all driven from the same
data source! Kind of exciting eh? :)
It takes the same form as the options table, so it's very expandable. It
has the same name/value fields. Next to go in will be the usual suspects
such as IM addresses, urls, etc.
4. Up until recently I used the blog name in the database table
filenames, but because of the global blogs table mentioned above I've
changed things so it uses the blog_id instead. Tables aren't as easy to
maintain in phpmyadmin, but logically they match the records in the
blogs table.
5. Themes! I've always been a fan of Smarty templates, but there are
such a wealth of really great WordPress themes out there it was a shame
WPMU couldn't use them. WP theme support has come along in leaps and
bounds in the last year and it was a simple change so that WPMU can use
them. It's read-only right now, but that will change.

*phew* those are only a few of the recent changes.
I still haven't thought about how the global userlist will be able to
interact with a blog. Probably as a paged list with a search box and
checkboxes?
What about global categories? If multiple blog authors post to the same
global category it would be simplicity itself to create feeds of that
subject, or narrow site searches, or any number of things! Could you
limit the categories to certain named blogs? Have an administrator who
lets blogs in?

I'm off to bed, 'night!

--
Donncha O Caoimh