[wp-hackers] Developing 1.6

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Jun 23 18:00:15 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
>  From what I read, there are going to be significant changes in 1.6
> which while no doubt welcome to some, will move WP away from being a
> blogging tool and more toward a CMS. If you want a CMS, great. If you
> want to just blog, not so great.

I would disagree with this entirely. 1.6 will be as much focused on
blogging as every other release of WP ever was. We're just trying to
make blogging easier for people.

> 1.5 is already a large step toward being a CMS and the forum posts have
> changed dramatically. There are more questions about images, about user
> levels, about podcasting, hiding categories and while there were the odd
> few with 1.2 there are now many many more.

I would say images and podcasting are very bloggy things.

> What there is NOT is any difficulties with anything on the admin
> screens. Sure some people may want things a bit different, but there are
> no problems. Wysiwyg and the drag/drop stuff will change that.

I would say deficiencies in the admin drive MOST of the support forum
traffic. I don't see a single screen in the WP admin that I don't think
could be simpler, easier, or more intuitive. We have come very far, and
we have a long way to go in this.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com