[wp-hackers] Plugin download repository

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Jul 27 00:50:22 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Most plugins aren't complicated enough to require
> stable/unstable/snapshot development cycles. The latest and greatest
> code is in the trunk, development occurs elsewhere. (Perhaps a branch.)
>
> Unless everybody tags consistently (and they haven't thus far) it's
> hard to tell which is the "best" tag to choose. Users shouldn't have
> to decide which version they want, it should be automatic.

Hm... I've always thought of /trunk/ as where development happens.
Never considered using /trunk/ for my "stable" branch... and using a
branch for development .  It's a good idea... and it solves the zip
download problem rather conveniently (also: without more coding for you,
Matt :-D )  I'll have to give that a shot.  This should be written up as
standard practice on: http://dev.wp-plugins.org/wiki/RepositorySetup

It currently says:

> Trunk
>
> This is where your main (current) development takes place. The 'trunk'
> directory is the root directory for your code. You will (usually) be
> copying your 'trunk' directory to create tags and branches.

... which is how I've been doing it.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/