[wp-hackers] 500 euros for WP + plugins

Eric Pierce epierce at usf.edu
Sat Jul 9 21:51:14 GMT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 5:36 PM, Amit Gupta wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 "Robert Deaton" <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > WordPress can't really be relicensed under something non-GPL
> compatible because it
> > uses various bits of code from other GPL projects. Sure.. take
> out the IXR, Magpie,
> > the WPDB class, and maybe other bits of code, and then it could
> be relicensed, but
> > where would we be without all that?
>
> No, I wasn't talking about taking out the GPLed components from WP,
> I was merely asking that can WordPress be re-licensed under any
> other license? Perhaps a GPL compatible license? I'm asking this
> because I read somewhere(someplace else besides Matt's post) that
> when you license something as GPL, you can't re-license it unless
> you do-away with older code & write from scratch. Now I do think
> that this is not quite right as some-one can write the next version
> of the software and can make it GPL compatible, being a derivative
> work, but I'm not sure on this!!

I believe that if all of the copy-right holders agreed, then the
current code base could be transferred to a different license.  The
reason that is VERY unlikely to happen is that it would be nearly
impossible to get that many people to agree to change the license.
The GPL'd components would also have to be replaced by licensed code
or be rewritten from scratch.
In addition, this license change would only affect distribution of
the code after the change date.  All code that was distributed before
the change would still be under the GPL and could be modified and
redistributed by anyone.  Basically what would happen is that the
project would fork and the new fork would be under a non-GPL
license.  The GPL'd version could still be maintained by anyone that
wanted to work on it.

> Also, are all licenses listed at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
> index.php GPL Compatible or only the ones mentioned at http://
> www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses are
> GPL Compatible?

Since the GPL is controlled by the Free Software Foundation, they
define what licenses are compatible.

> -----
> Amit Gupta
>
> || Canned!! -- my Atropine || iG:Syntax Hiliter v3.1 ||
> || iGEEK.INFO || Free Nokia Ringtones || Online Gaming @ Games
> Planet ||

Eric Pierce, RHCE                  Phone: (813) 974-8868
Academic Computing                 Fax:   (813) 974-1799
University of South Florida        Email: epierce at usf.edu