[wp-hackers] A thought about wp-rss2.php

Luc Saint-Elie lstelie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 13:24:15 GMT 2005

2005/7/1, Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com>:
> The key being, if I take your point correctly, that the output produced
> is always valid because you don't tweak the content directly, but from
> an object instead.

Hello,

yes exactly.
An example :
If you want to add Creative Commons statement to your feed you need to

1)  add the namespace :
xmlns:creativeCommons="http://backend.userland.com/creativeCommonsRssModule"

2) add a chanel level data :
<creativeCommons:license>http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0</creativeCommons:license>

This is not that difficult but requires editing wp-rss2.php and I
don't think it's a good thing to let to it in the end user hands. The
smallest error can break the feed.

Another example more complex , podcasting if "this week hyped stuff",
in order to be listed on Itunes Music Store you need to

1) add the namespace :
xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/DTDs/Podcast-1.0.dtd"

2) add various channel level data :
	<itunes:category text="category">
		<itunes:category text="sub-category" />
	</itunes:category>
	<itunes:category text="category">
		<itunes:category text="sub-category" />
		<itunes:category text="sub-category" />
		<itunes:category text="sub-category" />
	</itunes:category>
	<itunes:explicit>No</itunes:explicit>
	<itunes:subtitle>To be displayed in itunes</itunes:subtitle>
	<itunes:summary>Description of the site</itunes:summary>
	<itunes:author>author name</itunes:author>
	<itunes:owner>
		<itunes:name>author name</itunes:name>
		<itunes:email>author at stuff.com</itunes:email>
	</itunes:owner>
 and so on...

In my opinion it would be great from the admin section to provide 3
forms to be able to :

1 : modify/add   namespace statements from a form (with default values)
2:  modify/add   channel level values (with default values)
3:  modify/add   item level values (with default values)

WP allow modifying templates files (without form but this is normal as
template file is not a highly structured file, in fact I think it
would be great to have in the same way a wp-rss2.php editor allowing
through forms (because this file is a very highly structured one) that
can be edited without touching the real file.

In an ideal world, this wp-rss2.php editor would be able to receive
plug-in and for example a plug-in author would be able to provide an
extension to add iTunes tag with ease, while another one would provide
an extension to add Creative Commons tags with ease and so on for
future extension that may arise.

Luc

note : sorry if I'm not very clear but English is not my mother tongue...