[wp-hackers] Overriding Cor Functions (Was: IIS Problem)

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Apr 4 18:52:59 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 14:14 -0400, Dougal Campbell wrote:
> Ryan Boren wrote:
> [....]
> > Alternatively, we could move the dozen or so functions that we have
> > marked as replaceable into a separate file that is included after
> > plugins are loaded.
> >
> > Ryan
>
> Then we only have plugins fighting amongst themselves over who defines
> the function first :)

Whoever is first wins.  This is a problem in all approaches discussed
thus far.  You can't have two plugins trying to replace core functions.

> At some point, maybe we should add some sort of "plugin load order"
> hints, similar to the filter/action priorities. Maybe with a "Plugin
> by modifying the filenames of the plugins, AFAIK. Granted, the load
> order *usually* isn't important, but I do actually have a couple of
> (homegrown) plugins that need to specifically be loaded first or last.

Filename ordering works well enough for SysVInit.  S01, S02, S99, ...

Once upon a time, Morgan and I discussed having a Priority: field and
changing the active_plugins array to have priority levels, much like
wp_filters.

http://mosquito.wordpress.org/view.php?id=765

I haven't cared enough to bother with it though.  Just naming the plugin
01-do-me-first.php has worked well enough.

Ryan