[wp-forums] Sidebars

Kaf Oseo kaf at szub.net
Fri Mar 31 22:53:09 GMT 2006

Podz wrote:
> ...yeah . . . .. if I'm a theme author and I churn out themes that are
> not compliant, I'm a bad author if I am aware that people would like me
> to make them compliant.

I'm not sure I completely understand, but there will be the occasional
theme that cannot or will not work with widgets.

Some theme designers may find it too much effort to convert an existing
theme to widget compliance. And I'm sure there'll be a few who just don't
like the idea of them.

> If a theme author says "No" that is indeed their choice, but if I take
> their theme, make it sidebar compliant can I then release it as a new
> theme with my name on (and a nod to the original in the css only)?
> If this IS the case, then expect a rash of new themes.

Considering most themes will require little modification to work with
widgets I don't see the issue coming up a lot. But a theme released under
the GPL or similar license is open to the possibility. They should have
been prepared for it, widgets or not.

> If a theme author says "No" and we fix it in the forums and post it,
> should we ask for credit? (I'll argue both sides on this).

I'd say it's up to the individual(s) providing those mods. I certainly
didn't ask for it when I released the all-sidebar version of Kubrick.
A bigger question is: How can we keep any potential conflicts due to
this out of the forums?

> Themes that do not support are work right now. I think we owe it to
> users both to help them and ask them to ask the authors.

I certainly don't disagree with that.

> Themes that will not be supported .... that's a whole new bag of
> spanners. They want their name on a theme but they expect others to fix
> it? .. I hope that doesn't happen. Names in lights need to be worked for.

I'm again forced to point out that merely because a theme does not support
widgets does not make it broken. Update, improve, bring into some kind of
widgety compliance, sure. But *fix* it?

Sorry, but for me the language is important.

-Kaf