[wp-forums] Sidebars and Widgets

Vicki Frei vkaryl at localnet.com
Fri Mar 31 16:21:53 GMT 2006

On 3/31/2006 3:11:45 AM, Podz (podz at tamba2.org.uk) wrote:
> Podz wrote:
> > Is it me or are sidebar problems the current mass problem?
> >

> Okay ....http://automattic.com/code/widgets/themes/
> Go read.
> Ignore the money / ask nicely bit -
> I'll get to that.
>
> ---
>
> Widgets could cause us massive amounts of work / posts / angry posts /
> WTF posts. Fact is theme authors should do this, not us - but we know
> some will not and we know we'll
> pick up the rest. It's the way it is.
> I don't know what emailing has gone
> on to authors and I have no idea
> which themes that are not currently in use on wp.com are workable.
>
> This is very open to what we need to do but we need to accept the
> workload that will happen for our users. It does for everything else :)
>
> I'm thinking a sticky from today "Made a theme? READ THIS!" which points
> very clearly to the above link.
> I'm
> also thinking that we include in that a list of known Good themes.
> Let's point people at work we know will give us less grief.
> Maybe even a list of known Bad themes (name & shame tactics)
> We need to make it clear it's
> not our fault, or the fault of widgets or
> the fault of wp code - this is a change theme au

VERY quick reply - got lots going on, sorry....

I'm agreeable to whatever you think needs doing at this point.  I don't
have time to dig into the widget thing right now (hopefully I will
sooner rather than later) but my personal opinion is that it will be a
fairly nifty additive.  Yes, we will have a ton of dreck to deal with on
the forum.  As long as "no one" decides we're being "rude" when we point
to the page with a link using a short statement, I don't have a problem....