[wp-forums] Sidebars

Craig nuclearmoose at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 21:33:56 GMT 2006

Well, using a widgetized theme without widgets shouldn't be a problem, since
the default sidebar is used in the absence of any widgets being set in the
configuration panel.

This is one reason why I don't agree with maintaining lists of themes and
plugins as a function of supporting the community. It puts way too much work
on a small group of people, namely you moderators, and absolves users and
authors of themes and plugins of ultimate responsibility.

The theming "system" has essentially spiralled out of control. While WP has
made it quite easy to create and use themes, there are now more possible
combinations of widgets and gadgets and hacks and such that the presentation
of these in some kind of comprehensive way is far beyond the scope of a
small group of volunteers.

Too many people look to WP support for help with things that really should
be supported by theme and plugin authors and their own communities, after
the fashion of K2, I'd submit. Codex will be so damn full of every flavour
of Rin or Gemini or Kubrick that the real information that is needed will be
buried.

I think the time has come to make some radical changes in WordPress support.
The site exists because of a core product, and the core product is what
should be supported and documented.

The amount of fantastic work that has been done by a lot of people is not to
be dismissed, however. It needs to be packaged and delivered in new and
better ways. The Codex wiki just doesn't cut it from a user standpoint. It's
the War and Peace of user manuals, folks. WordPress used to be accused of
being "just for geeks" because only they could figure out the code in lieu
of adequate documentation. Now people are daunted by the encyclopedic
volumes of codex goodness.

I'm not saying this to be critical of anyone or of the support or Codex or
anything. I'm saying that I believe that the support and documentation model
that was adequate a couple of years ago is not sustainable. I also not
suggesting that we simply throw everything out and start from scratch,
because that is not an answer, either. I raise this subject hoping to start
a dialogue on how we can evolve the WordPress support system, because as it
stands, it is falling behind the evolution of the software itself.

My sincere appreciation to all of you for your contributions to a tremendous
community.

Craig.
Nuclear Moose.