[wp-forums] User.

Petit petit at petitpub.com
Wed Mar 29 00:37:41 GMT 2006

Podz wrote:

>Michael B wrote:

>>>o - no requirement, but I thought it useful to throw at this spammer.
>>>Strangely, it stopped them. Can't think why ;)
>>>

>>I'm not a fan of indiscriminate use of rules.  If it's going to be enforced
>>for one, it should be enforced for all.  Just my 2¢
>>

>Neither am I, but this person posted 6 replies in minutes. They were out
>to spam and keep spamming. So I broke their url and tried to make it
>crystal clear to them that I was watching their profile.

<snip>

>There are lots of indiscriminate rules that we all have
>to deal with and I would hope that my behaviour so far has indicated
>that I'm not bending them at will, daily and in a mood-dependent way.
>This was a spammer.
>They spam, we change the rules.
>No committee, no agenda, no big decision - we do what we need to so they
>get the message.

In my opinion we cannot have very explicit rules or formulations, as we
cannot forsee every dirty trick.
Moderation has to be done in a case by case manner. I also think the
moderators are doing a great job
at holding off spammers, salesmen and offenders off the forum, and we
have to give them some rope.
( Please don't misunderstand - I'm a swede ;)
Actions taken should be on par with the severity of the abuse.

A first timer in the grey zone could have his/her thread closed with a
comment on why, while a right out
spammer, starting to flod the forum threads, should have every link in
his/her body brusquely broken ;)

Sooner or later we'll have to come back to the "commercial forum".
Anything happened there lately?
It occured to me, that it would be a good thing, if someone outside the
wordpress.org were to take care of that.
So that no shadow is falling over WordPress itself, if such a forum
generates bad experiences ( Matts fear ).

/Petit
disclaimer: My spell chexer died on me )