[wp-forums] Codex Sidedoor

Petit petit at petitpub.com
Mon Mar 20 15:58:16 GMT 2006

spencerp wrote:

>>TG wrote
>>Fear not spencerp, this is one that got through...
>>I'm giving this one a new thread title as it's  new topic about the Codex and getting people to use it.... which is always a wonderful topic  around here.
>>

>Haha....awesome! I agree with that T.G. Basically like you had orignal said, that's what the Codex is basically for anyways.. I also think/feel that there should be more linkage or something, promoting to use the Codex for answers and help.
>
>I know we all are now, posting links to it via the replies to posts..but maybe a few more links else where on the Support Forum Index page maybe.. Possibly even a Sticky post in all forums about it as well.
>
>I mean after all, I'm sure ALOT of time has gone into making up the Codex to begin with, so why let it sit alone, basically hidden from the newbs..? But at sametime, some how the whole point of it is getting lost, and most newbs don't feel or seem to, not have the patience to read it..
>
>Which is sad, but it's the truth..like I said before, they just want a "quicky" answer now, handed on the silver platter infront of them.. I'm right there along with ya T.G. we should have a better linkage setup for the Codex and description maybe or something.. I dunno..just throwing out suggestions, opinions and what not..
>
>spencerp

+1 that!
And then, I don't think the Alert colored stickies are well understood
by newcomers to the support forum.
I think some banner style advice at the top of the page would catch the
eye better.
In very short form the could contain.
A. If this is your first visit, please red the rules of the game [ link
to how to use the forum ]
B. Your problem may already have a solution - please search [ search tip
from Podz sticky ]
C. Advice on how to use the Codex [ link to Codex ]

As the search engine doesn't work ( or gives very time consuming results
), would it be possible to use the Google search approach with the
existing search form.
It's really much simpler to just fill in your search terms and hit
enter, than leaving the page for Google and then use the
site:wordpress.org bla foo bar
( Yes some users of WP will leave the page for Google )

Maybe the forum framework is untouchable. If so, please dismiss my
thoughts ;)
/Petit