[wp-forums] "official" policy should be made

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sat Mar 18 19:14:40 GMT 2006

Podz wrote:
> Person B says - in an existing thread - that DreamHost are great and
> leaves a referral link. That link will generate MORE than the $50.
> One is commercial, open and they work for the cash.
> One is private, possibly hidden to the link clicker and they lift not a
> finger for their money.

This is why the hosting page was created, because listings there can't
be bought and it changes based on feedback that comes in.

This is always why WP never did a hosting company ourselves, because if
we suck there is no incentive to send people elsewhere, but if someone
on the hosting page sucks there are a dozen other hosts to take their spot.

> Another - I say that A Small Orange is a good host and give a straight
> link. Bob Parsons (who runs Godaddy) has also joined the forum and he
> says that Godaddy can do the job and gives a straight link. Who is
> commercial there?

Bob Parsons is in our forum? That's crazy.

More directly, what if Podz starts promoting freshlypressed.net? Is
there a level where someone contributes where we say it's okay for them
to pimp commercial stuff?

The forums live at /support/, personally I would prefer they remain
untainted by commercial promotions

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com