[wp-forums] Editing and Answering..

Vicki Frei vkaryl at localnet.com
Sun Mar 5 19:42:03 GMT 2006

spencerp wrote:
> I have read all of the following posts regarding me and my use of "grammar" and "swearing" and understand why, and your concern for the support forum in general.
>

> Anyways, I don't want to lose a spot at the support forums, or my forum membership, and I especially don't want to lose everyone's respect, even though I probably already did.. =(  Again I'm sorry for being a drunken fool on the forums.. =(
>
> But I can't promise that I won't be a sober space cadetish sarcastic fool on the support forums though..because that's just me..trying to have a little fun =)  Anyways...just thought I'd put my $.02 in on this, being that this was all about me, and I should be entitled to have my say on it too..
>
> Also, keeping my feelings and or thoughts of such nature will be kept on my blog.. " but that he should try to keep the harsh language for his own blog ( where it really blooms :)" Thanks Petit..I'll try hahaha. =) Thanks.. =)
>
> spencerp

spencerp:

I don't have a problem with sarcasm as such.  Meanness and profanity are another
whole issue (okay, no one's going to be bothered by "damn" or "hell" or as I
sometimes use, "right bitch" - it's the heavy duty stuff I personally object to
on a forum which should at least attempt to keep a professional tone).

The main thing about sarcasm is that people who don't have English as their
native language will probably not get it at all and may take offense even where
none was intended - this can cause escalation.  And it's just very very
difficult to express that tone in text.  It generally comes across as just plain
nasty, which is less than ideal.

You are helpful.  I never meant to indicate I thought you weren't.  If you got
that impression from anything I personally posted, I apologize.  I would just
prefer that we all (not just you) moderate ourselves first:  our language, our
attitudes, our responses.  I'm trying to moderate myself, at which I sometimes
fail, tis all too true.

PS - It does seem that we all fairly frequently forget that a:  the list is
anything but private; b:  no one is a singular example of anything on the forum.