[theme-reviewers] Friendly request? About themes comments section

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Thu Oct 23 15:37:01 UTC 2014

If you go back and look at some of the original themes or even in the
`wp-includes/theme-compat/comments.php`, you'll notice this is how it's
done and has always been done as far as I can remember.  The `#comments`
section isn't shown until there are actual comments.

This is why I'd consider `comments_link()` and `get_comments_link()` the
inappropriate functions when there are no comments for the post. You'd be
linking to something that does not yet exist.

I'd use `comments_popup_link()` instead, which will display a link to
either `#comments` or `#respond` depending on the situation.  This function
also takes into account things like whether comments are open, pings are
open, or a password is required before showing the link.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <philip at frumph.net