[theme-reviewers] Formal Request for Change of Methodology.

yulian yordanov yul.yordanov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 18:58:21 UTC 2013

Ah, I'm afraid if we take the path to give some features explicitly to
pluggins, one day the themes will remain only css templates :)
This might look acceptable form developers' point of view, but I don't know
a end-user who is pleased to install (and maintain) several different
'things' in order their site to work. On the contrary, site-owners nowadays
are not geeks anymore, they are just users of Internet (and WP), they are
focused on the content which they want to provide, so their main
requirement is -  administration to be as much easier.

Fingli

2013/6/26 Dane Morgan <dane at danemorganmedia.com>

>  On 2013-06-26 12:47, Sayontan Sinha wrote:
>
>  I agree, however, I disagree that that is what you are doing. You are
>> locking users into your themes when they have no migration path away that
>> allows them to retain their data because they unknowingly typed it into
>> your theme not into WordPress.
>

>  So let me ask you this - what if I were to offer this code as a plugin
> AND bundled with my theme? This way I am giving a user a migration path, I
> am offering value-added stuff in my theme for those who don't want to use
> something else, and I am avoiding breaking sites by yanking the code. Would
> you consider this acceptable? The WPTRT doesn't find this acceptable
> either, and that is one of the points Frumph is trying to make.
>

>  I wouldn't. No. It just adds a layer of confusion. Put design in themes
> and content generation in plugins.
>
> You can give your theme special hooks for that plugin generated content,
> even deregister it's output and do them up special in your theme, but when
> the user uninstalls the theme all of the content they generated while it
> was installed should still be there available for them to use with any
> theme out of the box.

Yulian Yordanov
post-scriptum.info