[theme-reviewers] Grandfather Themes?

Greg Priday greg at siteorigin.com
Tue Jun 25 19:32:01 UTC 2013

>From a user's perspective, what do you all feel would be the best way to
update a theme that has "plugin domain" functionality?

The best strategy I've thought of is to just include a nag to install the
"advanced features" plugin. It just feels risky pushing an update that you
know will break 10s of thousands of sites - even if a site will only be
broken until a user installs the plugin.

Has anyone thought of a better strategy?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <
> philip at frumph.net> wrote:
>
>> We all agreed that it would be case by case at that point, hence
>> grandfathering.
>>

> I would say, although I no longer recall our conversation, that
> "grandfathering" would be for the case-by-case exceptions (at best).
> As far as the rest of the arguments (and I did re-read that entire linked
> archive) I would still lean towards *not* grandfathering any themes for
> much of the same reasons Chip brought forward in his response.
>
> If an older theme absolutely requires code that will not meet current
> guidelines the theme author is more than welcome to present their case for
> an exception. If an exception is granted and subsequently over-looked by a
> reviewer we will make every effort to address the issue ... and let us
> remember "to err is human".
>

> Edward Caissie
> aka Cais.

I make free WordPress themes