[theme-reviewers] Something we need to check for 3.4 appearance -> background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jun 11 23:06:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> Even then, there's nothing that says they cannot go back and do the
> generation of different methods they have always been doing to remove a
> background.

They shouldn't have to. That's the point.

While nacin has correctly pointed out that this is the same behavior
as 3.3, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

So here's how I think the new rule would have to work to make the UX make sense:

REQUIRED: If custom background support is enabled in the theme, and
either default-image or default-color are used, then the theme MUST
NOT specify a background color or image in the stylesheet(s) for the
theme. This is to prevent the theme from displaying default behavior
that would otherwise confuse the user.

To test this rule as a theme reviewer, one would click the "Remove
Background Image" button and clear out the default color (and save),
and then see if any sort of background image or color shows up on the
page. If it does, it fails the rule.