[theme-reviewers] Question on Custom Headers

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Sep 7 22:58:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> See, images have sizes, in pixels. They aren't "fluid". They don't
>> scale up well. So if somebody uploads a 50x20 pixel header, are you
>> planning on scaling it across the whole screen? That might look like
>> crap, eh?
>
> I was thinking of tiling. Basically I was planning on providing options to
> tile the image to span the entire width. Basically the image doesn't have to
> be loaded via an img tag, but via the background to a div. The div can still
> respect the height you provide to it and then span the width.

But you still have to specify a size for the image. It can't be "any"
width. The cropper needs to know the ratios. It needs to know what
size width to scale the resulting image created to. HEADER_IMAGE_WIDTH
must be a number, not a percentage.

See, a "header" is generally a single image across the top of the
site. That's why it's called "add_custom_image_header" and not just
"add_custom_header", because it's not a tiled background.

If you're wanting to do a tiled background in some fashion, then I'd
say to not use the custom header functions at all, as that just
promotes end-user confusion. Do something totally custom instead.