[theme-reviewers] Question on Custom Headers

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:10:39 UTC 2011

> If you're wanting to do a tiled background in some fashion, then I'd
> say to not use the custom header functions at all, as that just
> promotes end-user confusion. Do something totally custom instead.

That was the reason why I had stayed away from this function up to this
point and had something custom.

So a question for the reviewers - the review
guidelines<http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review>state:

Theme is *recommended* to incorporate the following WordPress core
> functionality, but is *not required* to do so. However, if incorporated,
> functionality must support the core WordPress implementation:

add_custom_image_header().

Is it okay to not use the above function with a custom header then?

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> See, images have sizes, in pixels. They aren't "fluid". They don't
> >> scale up well. So if somebody uploads a 50x20 pixel header, are you
> >> planning on scaling it across the whole screen? That might look like
> >> crap, eh?
> >
> > I was thinking of tiling. Basically I was planning on providing options
> > tile the image to span the entire width. Basically the image doesn't have
> > be loaded via an img tag, but via the background to a div. The div can
> still
> > respect the height you provide to it and then span the width.
>
> But you still have to specify a size for the image. It can't be "any"
> width. The cropper needs to know the ratios. It needs to know what
> size width to scale the resulting image created to. HEADER_IMAGE_WIDTH
> must be a number, not a percentage.
>
> See, a "header" is generally a single image across the top of the
> site. That's why it's called "add_custom_image_header" and not just
> "add_custom_header", because it's not a tiled background.
>
> If you're wanting to do a tiled background in some fashion, then I'd
> say to not use the custom header functions at all, as that just
> promotes end-user confusion. Do something totally custom instead.
>
> -Otto

Sayontan Sinha
http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
--
Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The death gets
more coverage than the crime.