[theme-reviewers] Flash objects in themes

Michael Fields michael at mfields.org
Sat Oct 15 15:58:41 UTC 2011

Hi Kirk,

> Just a SWF, no FLA.

This sounds like a red flag to me.

It cannot be open source without the source file :)

IMHO the presence of the FLA should be required in a GPL compatible theme.

> There is no reference to any restrictions, nor a license.

This sounds red flag-ish as well. But maybe not ...

If no explicit license is present, I believe that the component (SWF) should inherit the license of the package as declared in style.css or license.txt in the theme folder.

I have only limited experience with flash but, from what I remember seeing, license information in flash components is sometimes included directly in the source (FLA) file.

Without being able to see the source, it is impossible to know whether the component's licensing conflicts with the GPLv2.

These are just my opinions on the matter. I'm no expert when it comes to licensing, but I do my best to approach situations with common sense. logic and a love for open source. This is a very good topic for discussion and maybe something that should be added to the theme guidelines once a consensus is reached.

Best,
- Mike