[theme-reviewers] How are derivative works identified?

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 21:43:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Ian Stewart <ian at iandanielstewart.com>wrote:

> ... I tweaked 1% of the markup or functionality in every template file in
> Twenty Eleven and made a new stylesheet that looking dramatically different
> I wouldn't want that to be distributed as a child theme but it sounds like
> this would still count as a derivative theme.

We keep seeming to go round and round on this idea ...

A derivative work can be accepted if it presents a significant change in
design or functionality from the original theme it is based on. This has
always been the rule-of-thumb I have held and see no reason why it should
change; it is also extremely subjective but generally easy enough to find
sense in.

I would agree with Ian's statement above, and accept Themes (provided they
meet current guidelines) designed from that concept. The difference between
my "derivative work" idea and a Child-Theme: the derivative still requires
all of the template files (as stated in the guidelines); the Child-Theme
essentially only needs the ones it "changed".

Cais.