[theme-reviewers] Use Static Front Page by Default for Reviews?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Apr 22 14:10:37 UTC 2011

There may be more than you realize. :)

Google results for "home.php" in SVN:
http://www.google.com/#q=%22home.php%22+site:themes.svn.wordpress.org&fp=2e0367e39f3acd1c&hl=en&safe=off

Google results for "front-page.php" in SVN:
http://www.google.com/#q=%22front-page.php%22+site:themes.svn.wordpress.org&fp=2e0367e39f3acd1c&hl=en&safe=off

But here's my thinking:
1) It doesn't negatively impact Themes that include neither template file
2) It eliminates the need to make setup changes from Theme to Theme
3) It removes an opportunity to overlook something that will be *very*
important to the end user

I definitely don't see a need for *two* sets of Theme Unit Test data. After
all, this change would merely add two additional static Pages.

In any case, I'll do some experimenting, and report back regarding what
positive/negative difference this setup makes.

Chip

p.s. note: some of my ideas (good, bad, or otherwise) come not from
reviewing Themes, but from spending time in the WPORG support forums, where
I run into end-user problems that might not otherwise be as apparent. The
mis-use of "home.php" is one such issue.