[wp-hackers] OT: "Nofollow" Rant

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Mon Jan 24 01:42:19 GMT 2005

Stephen Cropp wrote:

> Okay, following your logic, Matt can't work for C|Net and use the 15%
> time (or whichever it actually is) they've given him to work on
> Wordpress because doing so while he's at work would make Wordpress a
> C|Net project and therefore they have a say in its development process.

Where did I say Matt can't work for anybody he damn well chooses to? When did
WordPress become a C|Net product?

> Google is well known to give its staff 20% of their work time to work on
> their own projects. These projects are eventually branded Google, but
> that doesn't make them any less projects the people themselves wanted to
> release. Google releasing it makes it easier for that project to get out
> there. Froogle being just one example of such a project.

So what? How is this relevant to the discussion?

> Just because the project is Google branded, does not mean that the
> person who created it intended it for Malicious Corporate Greed intents
> and purposes.
I've never said that corporations are greedy or malicious. In the US, a
corporation is, BY LAW, required to act in the best interests of its
shareholders. That means they are to make a profit. That doesn't make them
greedy or malicious, but it does mean that corporations act in their own
self-interest, regardless of the free-reign they give to their staff.

> As for the whole pagerank argument... Google has modified Pagerank a
> number of times. Personally I don't think ANY *personal* blog should be
> receiving pagerank unless they serve a specific purpose to a community
> or group.
Who gets to decide this? You going to set up a system to determine whose
opinions are of value and whose are not now?

Its for that reason that my site has spiders denied in the
> robots.txt. I don't want or need the page rank on a personal blog and
> site. Its of absolutely no use or relevance and only serves to clutter
> up the search results with conjecture and opinion.

So you are saying that conjecture and opinions have no value? Ever hear of
Watergate? Imagine how things would have been different if two reporters didn't
follow their own conjecture and opinions.

> Still... Everyone is different and everyone has a right to their own
> opinion. Mine just happens to differ vastly from yours.

Yes, I totally agree with you there.