[wp-hackers] OT: "Nofollow" Rant

Stephen Cropp steve at de-generationx.net
Mon Jan 24 01:30:22 GMT 2005

Craig Hartel wrote:
> As soon as the paycheque has "Google Inc." written on it, they cease to
> be "like
> you and I" because they do what they are told, and their mind-set is
> geared to
> ensuring that Google's needs are met first and foremost.
>
> Craig.

Okay, following your logic, Matt can't work for C|Net and use the 15%
time (or whichever it actually is) they've given him to work on
Wordpress because doing so while he's at work would make Wordpress a
C|Net project and therefore they have a say in its development process.

Google is well known to give its staff 20% of their work time to work on
their own projects. These projects are eventually branded Google, but
that doesn't make them any less projects the people themselves wanted to
release. Google releasing it makes it easier for that project to get out
there. Froogle being just one example of such a project.

Just because the project is Google branded, does not mean that the
person who created it intended it for Malicious Corporate Greed intents
and purposes.

As for the whole pagerank argument... Google has modified Pagerank a
number of times. Personally I don't think ANY *personal* blog should be
receiving pagerank unless they serve a specific purpose to a community
or group. Its for that reason that my site has spiders denied in the
robots.txt. I don't want or need the page rank on a personal blog and
site. Its of absolutely no use or relevance and only serves to clutter
up the search results with conjecture and opinion.

Still... Everyone is different and everyone has a right to their own
opinion. Mine just happens to differ vastly from yours.

Steve Cropp
(aka Korgan)
http://www.de-generationx.net/blog/