[wp-hackers] auto-pinging

Christoph Rummel bronski at bronski.net
Mon Feb 21 05:25:34 GMT 2005

In "Options / Discussion" there is a checkbox

	"Attempt to notify any Weblogs linked to
	from the article (slows down posting.)"

OK, some kind of autodiscovery. But then there is the
note above saying

	(These settings may be overridden for
	individual articles.)

So when writing an entry I can tick the checkbox

	Allow Pings

which to me is smth. like "allow pingbacks and
trackbacks sent to this entry" and make sense with the
checkbox

	Allow Comments

just above.

But there is no checkbox for the autodiscovery thingie
to override the global setting.

For quite a while the nightlies were sending pingbacks
regardless of wheter it was switched off in discussion
options or not, but that must have been fixed as it
doesn't pingback any longer when switched off.

Heck, sorry, I just tested it...

Last time, 15 min ago, when I referenced 2 of my own
entries in my "production"-blog it _didn't_ pingback,
and jsut now when I referenced an entry in my test-blog
it _did_ pingback, and both blogs are set to "do not
attempt to notify...".

I don't understand this behaviour... Not enough to file
a bugreport, at least. :-(

Chris