[wp-hackers] mb_send_mail removed?

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Feb 19 19:47:34 GMT 2005

Carthik Sharma wrote:

>I guess the mb_send_mail was causing the password notification emails
>to be sent as Base-64 encoded data, which was the case with me, for
>sure, and this was causing a lot of heartache for ordinary users who
>aren't savvy enough to change the source befofre resetting their
>passwords, which is why this must have been take out.

Ah...  See, I didn't even realize that mb_send_mail was a PHP function
until just now.

Since I don't have that extension enabled on my server, I was able to
define the function myself.  It would be very helpful to have a generic
wrapper for this (or wp_mail, as Ryan suggested) so that I can do
somethng with email other than using the native mail() function.

Specifically, I use MailEnable on Windows 2003, and it's faster to use a
MIME class to write any email as a file directly into the MTA-pickup
directory than to wait around for SMTP to log in, send, and allow PHP
processing to continue.  If there's anyone out there interested in this
code (although I'm going to guess that I'm the only loser with this
specific configuration) drop me a line off-list.

Owen