[wp-hackers] xmlrpc.php's location

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Sep 17 20:39:30 UTC 2004

> >>I think .inc.php is a little safer (and seems to be convention in
> >>other
> >>packages) so they aren't sent as raw text in case something
> unexpected
> >>happens with your server.
> >>

> >Either way, as long as .htaccess can nab 'em before they get spewed.
> >
> But doesn't that require that folks have their .htacess files
> configured?  It's another strain on the end user.

Yes, but if included files ended in .inc.php then they will execute
safely showing nothing, and can also be excluded entirely using a
mod_rewrite rule.  So advanced users can prevent include files from
being executed at all.

Also, it might be handy to know at a glance which WP files are ok to
execute stand-alone and which are not.  Using a .inc.php extension would
do this.

I have no preference.

Owen