[wp-hackers] New(?) anti-spam technique

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:59:42 UTC 2004

Well, the problem is that the access to zombie networks with 100
computers is fairly open now adays, considering the amount of
vunerabilities being fonud in certain software, and the vunerability
scanners to find them. I'm sure within a few days, a potential spammer
could compromise 100 boxes, upload the program to each of them, and
they'd all communicate back to the spammers computer for instructions
on where to spam and with what messages. The one way to stop potential
mass comment spam over a short period is to make counters that count
the number of spams per...say 5 minute period, and if it exceeds a
certain number, turn off comments on that post all together until the
owner of the blog can return and set it back up, hoping that the
spammers will have given up and moved on.

Another simple, easy to implement idea. Comments on that one?