[wp-hackers] generate_page_rewrite_rules() and save_mod_rewrite_rules()

Dennis Williamson dennis at netstrata.com
Thu Oct 14 21:32:51 UTC 2004

I was looking in the CVS at options-permalink.php and admin-functions.php
and trying to follow the code flow. It looks to me like there may be some
redundancy. This is how I see the flow (showing only what is pertinent):

[In options-permalink.php]

	set the value of $home_path

	call generate_page_rewrite_rules()

	[In admin-functions.php/generate_page_rewrite_rules()]

		call save_mod_rewrite_rules() for each page

		[In admin-functions.php/save_mod_rewrite_rules()]

			set $home_path

			set the values of $writable and $usingpi

[In options-permalink.php]

	set the values of $writable and $usingpi

	call save_mod_rewrite_rules()

	[In admin-functions.php/save_mod_rewrite_rules()]

		set the values of $writable and $usingpi

If I see this correctly, save_mod_rewrite_rules() gets executed once extra
and $home_path, $writable and $usingpi get set every time "save" is called,
plus in options-permalink.php itself. Am I wrong about this redundancy? Can
it be fixed by removing the extras and using globals? Thus:

[In options-permalink.php]

	global $home_path, $writable, $usingpi;

	set the value of $home_path

	set the values of $writable and $usingpi

	call generate_page_rewrite_rules()

	[In admin-functions.php/generate_page_rewrite_rules()]

		call save_mod_rewrite_rules() for each page

		[In admin-functions.php/save_mod_rewrite_rules()]

			global $home_path, $writable, $usingpi;

[In options-permalink.php]

	continue...

Tell me what you think.