[wp-hackers] 1.2.1

Mike Little journalized at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 21:06:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:26:38 -0700, Kitty <kitty at mookitty.co.uk> wrote:

> Ugh, sounds like we've got a royal CVS mess on our hands. (And no, SVN
> isn't the answer to *this* problem.)
>
> Starting with the 1.3 release we should probably move to a BSD style
> tagging system with RELEASE/STABLE/CURRENT tags on each point release.
> The way these work is pretty simple, and don't affect the actual release
> numbering (alpha/beta/RC).

[Snip]

Hmmm... I don't think we need to go as far as you describe Kitty.
Besides I dislike moving tags on principle.

Given that the number of committers to the repository is quite small,
I think just a little more knowledge and discipline is all that is
required.

I tag dropped on the repository at the point of release (whether
alpha, beta, or final) is all that is really needed.
That allows for a branch to be created from that release point if a
bug fix release is required.

The only other thing then missing is for the developers to be more
upfront/disciplined about which fixes should be included in bug fix
release and which ones should not.
Then they need to get their heads around working on branches, which
isn't that intuitive for some.

Mike
--
Mike Little