[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Steve steve at de-generationx.net
Sat Jul 17 01:36:56 UTC 2004

Okay, now that the thread has totally gone beyond what Craig initially
was thinking about...

Re: Licensing.
Plugins to Wordpress aren't all that different from drivers in Linux.
I'm sure many of you remember the HUGE debate that this exact same
subject caused on the LKML and the whole subject is still pretty much up
in the air. However, my personal opinion is basically that because the
plugins are being run as a part of the application and could not exist
outside of that application, they therefore must follow the same
licensing terms (or compatible) as the application. ie, WordPress is
GPL, Plugins must be GPL compatible. This can include BSD style licenses
(such as I use) or any other license thats listed by the FSF as compatible.

As for distribution of those plugins, its entirely up to the author of
the plugin how they choose to distribute their plugin. I think the
general consensus is that many people do not want deep links directly to
the download, but would much prefer a link to their site. Easily done.

Regarding where the file is downloaded from... Initially thats up to the
developer of the plugin, but ultimate, because of the terms of the GPL,
its out of their hands. If I extend their plugin under the terms of the
GPL, I can then distribute my version of the plugin in any form I choose
as long as it conforms to the terms of the GPL. Exactly the same thing I
can do with the entire WordPress package if I was so inclined (say
custom installs that include my own updates for specific customers).
Whether or not the plugin is stored on the wp-plugins.org site is
ultimate only up to the developer of that version of the plugin. The GPL
says that I can distribute my version of the plugin any way I choose.

I very much like the idea of something set up in the same way as Mozilla
Extensions. In fact, I think thats a brilliant idea. Developers should
be responsible for maintaining their own plugins on the site. As far as
versioning goes for new updates, theres nothing wrong with using a
pingback/trackback to that plugins entry on the site to indicate an
updated version. In fact, that'd make things extremely easy given that
WP already has all the trackback stuff implemented for being able to
define what sites to ping/trackback.

Hold it a second.........

Okay, asbestos suit is on now ;-) Feel free to flame away ;-)

Steve
(aka Korgan)