[wp-hackers] Trackback and Pingback in WordPress

Tor Bjornrud bjornrud at msu.edu
Wed Dec 8 15:43:38 UTC 2004

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> A few observations:
>
> If you specify a Trackback URI and also link to that post in your entry,
> a Trackback and a Pingback are both sent.  Granted, Pingback and
> Trackback aren't synonymous... I like to think of pingback as "I linked
> to you," and Trackback as "here's what I have to say about what you
> said," but doesn't a Trackback imply a link?
>
> Also, requiring manual input of trackback links is tiresome.  Honestly
> it's the only thing I think Movable Type does better than WordPress.
> Couldn't we add a per-post option to search for trackback URIs?

A trackback doesn't imply a link is present.  The other day, I was
writing about Spam Karma, and happened to see a site wondering about wp
spam options.  Now, I didn't particularly feel the need to point out
another person's ignorance of wordpress plugins, so I politely gave him
a trackback, without linking to him on my site.  The whole point of
trackbacks is that they *aren't* automatic and they are a more private
way of saying, "Here's something related to something you did."

~Tor